4.13.2010

Gluten Free Rosemary Biscuits and Gravy

I have been waiting to make these biscuits and gravy for a while, but I was also a little intimidated by the thought of them. Biscuits and gravy have never looked very appetizing to me whenever I've seen them at restaurants. But my fear for B&G is now over. I can eat them anytime if they're made like this.

The recipe for the biscuits came from Heather, a house baker from Culinary Collective. She has many great recipes on the CC blog site. Her recipe for biscuits uses sweet potato flour and tapioca flour. Sweet potato flour has this nutty, sweet and roasted flavor. I also love its orange color. I can see this flour would work nicely in muffins or cookies as well. Tapioca flour gave the biscuits a nice chewy texture, which I liked.



By the way, I grew up eating sweet potatoes endlessly, for breakfast, lunch, snack time or even dinner. You'd think I'm made of rice. I'm also made of sweet potatoes. My grandmother used to be a sweet potato farmer. People in my hometown make their living either in the bonito industry or sweet potato industry. My grandmother worked in both all her life. I used to go with the whole family to help her harvest potatoes before they were sent to be used for making shochu. But we never made flour out of potatoes. So it was very intriguing for me to use sweet potato flour for the first time.


I liked this gravy and got the recipe from here. I almost always like to use chicken soup stock when I make white sauces. In this dish, I wanted the gravy not to be too thick, otherwise it's too heavy for me to eat. The biscuits also go well with double cream. But I couldn't find any at the stores, so I made some whipped butter and créme fresh spread. This spread is so evil, and yet so good.


Recipe:

Biscuits

1 cup of sweet potato flour
1 cup of tapioca flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbl. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
6 Tbl. unsalted butter, cold
1 c. buttermilk

Preheat over to 450 degrees F. In a bowl sift together sweet potato flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Cut butter into chunks and cut into flour mixture using a fork or pastry blender. Add buttermilk and rosemary and mix until "just" combined -- you don't want to over mix this. Turn dough out onto floured surface and pat dough down (do not roll) to 1 inch thickness. With a biscuit cutter (or floured rim of a drinking glass) cut biscuits out and place on baking sheet. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes.


Gravy

8 oz pork breakfast sausage crumbled
3 tbs tapioka flour
3/4 cup of whole milk
1/4 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of chicken stock
1/2 tsp nutmeg
small pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper


Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Reserve about 3 tablespoons pan drippings in skillet, and pour off remaining drippings. Add flour, and cook over medium heat, stirring, for 4 minutes. Stir in milk, stock, and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer, stirring and scraping bottom of skillet constantly, and cook until thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in nutmeg, cayenne, salt, pepper, and reserved sausage.


Butter and Cream Spread

1/3 stick of butter
1/ cup of créme fraiche

whip the butter and mix it with créme fresh
Share:

1 comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Bella Bonito | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig