11.07.2012

Apple Beet Grape Salad with Simple Dressing





I just harvested the last batch of beets from my little vegetable patch. My garden was so good to me this year and gave me lots of good-looking beets. They seem to be quite easy to grow, considering my lack of skill as a farmer / gardener. To honor them for growing so big and sweet, I wanted to use them for something special. My affection for my home-grown beets inspired me to preserve them, so that I can enjoy them for a little while longer. I decided to simply pickle them in apple cider vinegar and honey. That's it. You can't go wrong with a simple salad.

A simple salad only works well if the ingredients are fresh, don't you think?  It feels sooooo good to make something simple and pretty dish like this salad... ; ) You can really taste the favor and feel the texture of each ingredient. 

... and this is dedicated to my little garden, veggies, and my kids who actually helped me with seeding, watering and harvesting.








Recipe:

2 large beets grilled
1 medium apple (I used Gala but any crunch one would do)
a few grapes
1/2cup of apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp of honey



For vinaigrette:
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 tsp of dijon mustard
1 tsp of honey
a pinch of salt and pepper


Heat up the grill up to 500 F°. Wrap the beets in aluminum foil and grill them for 20 minutes. Let them cool, peel off the skin, and cut them into ”-thick slices. Put the sliced beets in a container and pour the mixed apple cider vinegar and honey over them. Cover the container and leave overnight. Cut the apple into ” slices too. Layer the beet and apple slices over each other. Mix all the vinaigrette ingredients together thoroughly, and pour the dressing over the layered salad. Garnish with grapes and greens.


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Bella Bonito | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig