3.29.2010

White Chocolate Chip Cookies with Mesquite Flour


This is the second item for the Culinary Collective project. I was up for something new and challenging, so I picked up mesquite flour simply because it was one of the products from CC that I didn't know much about.  Mesquite is a plant originally from the Northern Mexico area. I first smelled the flour, and I instantly loved its sweet and bitter scent. Then, I went online and found this recipe all over the net. I quickly settled on the idea of making something simple, basic and fabulous that everyone would enjoy. So I used the popular recipe and twisted it around a bit with things I had in my pantry.






My son wanted to give me a hand as usual. I'm becoming such a clever mother nowadays (ha!) that I turned it into an educational event as well by teaching him how to spell his initials and how to take photos at the same time. Well, it didn't go too well and he kept trying to eat the chocolate chips that I carefully lay out to spell his initials.

For adults, I added some espresso and covered the cookies with semi-sweet chocolate. I highly recommend trying it. After I took my first bite, it reminded me of something slightly familiar... something like the sweets I tried in Amsterdam or at a few random parties...









Recipe:

(A)
2½ cups (330 g) flour
1 cup (160 g) mesquite flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon sea salt

(B)
1 stick (115g)of unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1 cup of cane sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(Add espresso - optional)

1 cup of white chocolate chips

(optional)
1 cup of semi sweet chocolate
2 tsp of heavy cream
2 shots of espresso

Mix A and B separately first. Combine them together and add chocolate chips. Scoop into 20 balls, place them onto the baking sheet and bake them at 380F for 10 minutes in the oven. Mix semi sweet chocolate and heavy cream in a small ball over the boiled water and met it together. Cover the cookies with the melted chocolate and dry them on the rack.
Share:

1 comment

  1. These cookies look incredible Rika! I have to say though... Haakon is a suspiciously awesome speller for a three year old. Thank you for the excellent dinner last night. I'm looking forward to seeing how the photos turned out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Bella Bonito | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig